|Public domain image/EOZyo via wikimedia commons|
After GN health officials saw some Igloolik residents at a clinic with trichinosis symptoms, they issued a warning Thursday to residents about the importance of not eating raw or undercooked walrus meat and the parasitic dangers present.
According to a Nunatsiaq Online report Friday, health officials also advise residents to seek medical care if they experience the symptoms of trichinosis: vomiting, fever, diarrhea, a rash, muscle pain and fatigue.
The parasite associated with trichinosis in this part of the world is Trichinella nativa. This nematode can be found in the bodies of walrus, polar bear and other creatures. This strain of Trichinella is resistant to freezing unlike it’s cousin, Trichinella spiralis.
According to the above report:
After a big trichinosis outbreak in Repulse Bay in 2002, the GN set up a program where people can send walrus tongue samples to a lab in Kuujjuaq to be tested.
Nunavut and Nunavik have seen many outbreaks of trichinosis: in Salluit in 1987, when 42 people fell ill; in 1999, when 34 in Qikiqtarjuaq became infected; in 2005, when 12 hunters sickened in Kangiqsualujjuaq after eating barbequed black bear meat, and in 2006 when two people fell ill with trichinosis in Kuujjuaq, and 50 in Cape Dorset.
For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page