Thursday, June 30, 2011
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Creating incentives and removing economic and regulatory disincentives for antibiotic research and development so companies find developing new antibiotics a viable business endeavor.
• Recalibrating and better communicating the FDA's requirements for new antibiotic approvals.
• Funding antibiotic R&D efforts under the Department of Health and Human Services' Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority and proposed independent strategic investment firm.
• Supporting R&D for rapid diagnostic tests to identify the cause of infections more quickly.
• Designating a leader within HHS to facilitate coordination of federal efforts and better utilize outside experts.
• Promoting the judicious use of available antibiotics through better stewardship programs and infection control practices.
• Creating an Antimicrobial Innovation and Conservation Fee to help pay for drug development and stewardship.
• Strengthening public health measures and research that lead to new interventions.
• Establishing non-profit public-private partnerships to invest in bringing new antibiotics to market.